24.1.11

Frida + Diego

On an afternoon foray out of the ultra-touristy Sultanahmet district, I saw a beautiful exhibit at the Pera Museum, not of Turkish art, but of the works of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.




I like Diego Rivera just fine - he had a real way with calla lilies - but, I kind of love Frida.  Why?  I love the honesty of her exploration of self, I love the mysticism of her art and her persona, I love that she was a woman who was a force of nature, I love her outfits and her unabashed portrayal of her traditionally unfeminine facial hair.

Portraits of Frida taken by Nicholas Murray, her longtime lover.

I'm already planning my Frida Kahlo costume for Halloween 2011.  The Pera Cafe was also outstanding - all leather chairs, cerulean banquettes, and warm chadeliers, A+ hot chocolate, too.


Un Frido,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment