31.8.10

A Tour of Tours

Let me set the scene: Tours is a small patchwork of white, grey-roofed houses, rivers (Loire and Cher), and handkerchief-size parks.  I'm taking prep classes at the Institut de Touraine, where one of my classrooms has the sky and swallows painted on the ceiling.

I've been wandering quite a bit and have found, to my delight, that I have a sense of direction.  I love walking with no destination, no rush to be someplace.

There is a park of extraordinary beauty near my host family's house.  Les français of all shapes and ages throng to the park, which may change as the school year begins.  I can't help watching the children with their mothers.  A favorite moment a couple of days ago: I overheard a little boy tell his mom he wanted to go home, and she replied, "To do what? There's nothing to do at home!"

The local nighttime hangout on the banks of the river, simply called La Guinguette, has live music most nights and is packed full of all sorts of people.  Place Plumereau, the main square in Old Tours, bustles and pulses with life into the wee hours of the morning.

The logo for the city is a turret with a rainbow coming out of it. 

Sugar and spice,
Maria

1 comment:

  1. Love seeing where you're staying and bits of Tours. Sounds like a great place to get your "French sea legs." Keep us posted---we love hearing about what you're doing!! Love you a bunch! mom

    ReplyDelete