8.9.10

A Place to Think

One of my favorite places in Tours is a small square off the the main road, Rue Nationale. 

The square has small trees and white roses growing on one side, a fountain and benches that face the ruined facade of a renaissance style building.  Only one wall of the building remains; the stones are quite worn, one edge is jagged like a jigsaw puzzle, and ivy is bursting out of the glassless windows.


I don't know if the square has a name or not, but the fountain in the center is called the Fountain of Lovers.  A tile in front of it encourages people to go to the fountain together to make a wish "for the here and now."

Sitting in front of it makes me think about time, about my here and now and my future.  I have so much future; the wall has so much past.  I wonder if it's possible for any person to wear ruin and incompleteness as well as this leftover wall.

Une amante,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment