2.2.11

Lute-a-toot-toot!

I think Terpsichore played the lyre, but my advice to would-be muses is to pick up the lute.  I saw the most interesting lutenist, Jozef van Wissem, give a concert at Shakespeare and Co. this afternoon.

Jozef, a dutch man with longish un-brushed hair who hunches over his instrument as he plays, is a magician of sound and creation.  He has done a lot of work with medieval lute compositions, playing them backward and rearranging them and creating entirely new pieces.  His compositions have  beautiful, evocative names like, "The Hearts of the Sons Are Returned to Their Fathers," "Dew Drops Fall Like Tears," and "Love is a Religion."

I was still sitting in the room, writing, as he was packing up after his session, and wanting to say something before he left, I accidentally and embarassingly effervesced all over him.  I told him his music was iridescent.  What word was I looking for?  Even I cannot say, but what I kind of meant is that there is a colorfulness and translucence to his music.  Or then perhaps the music made me think of those words, themselves - iridescent, translucent - and not of what they mean. 

I cannot say that I have an informed appreciation for lute music, or even that I liked everything Jozef played.  However, there were glimmering moments of great beauty that I couldn't help but feel in the secretly musical parts of my soul.


"The soul has arrived at understanding of her nothingness"

A disclaimer : I only call Mr. van Wissem "Jozef" because that is how he introduced himself to me.  He also told me to follow my dreams!

Trying to follow that good advice,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment