11.10.10

Aaaarles be back!

This weekend I went to Provence with my program.  We started in Arles where there are incredible Roman ruins:


When it was built in the first century, this arena had a pulley system that covered its 25,000 spectators with vellum on hot afternoons.  After the Roman Empire crumbled, a town was built in the amphitheater because it was easy to defend.  Now you can go see bull fights there.

We went to a market filled with tables of spices, cheeses, dried sausages, breads and pastries.


A middle-aged, hobbit-sized gentleman tried to sell me candies whose proceeds went to animal rescue.  When I declined he told me that I was charming anyway and that my eyes were full of love.  Don't worry Mom and Dad - I didn't give him my number.

We went to the Pont du Gard, part of an enormous (50k!) aqueduct from the Roman Empire.


Le Pont du Gard was built when God was in the third grade; in comparison, I felt a little bit like a tiny speck on the great continuum of time and space...Actually, I felt a lot like that.

I like Arles.  I would like to go back to see une corrida.

Three kisses (that's how they do it down south),
Maria

P.S. More on Provence to come! Also, I stole the non-Pont-du-Gard photos in this post...

No comments:

Post a Comment