16.10.10

Ballet Preljocaj

Last night at Théâtre National de Chaillot, I saw a really interesting ballet danced by members of the Ballet Preljocaj and the Bolshoi Ballet.  Angelin Preljocaj based "Suivront mille ans de calme" on the Apocalypse.  Now, I don't know a ton about the Apocalypse, and I know even less about modern dance, but I know what I saw last night was a revelation to me.


The music was sometimes classical, sometimes techno, sometimes was made by the sound of the dancers dragging chains on the ground, and sometimes was the sound of 1250 audience members holding their breath.

 


It was bizarre, beautiful, violent, sexy, striking, dynamic.  At one point, all the women on stage were wrapped in plastic; at another, everyone had a book in each hand and mouth; at the end, flags of country of the world we dunked in water, spread out on the stage to dry and two lambs were let loose to wander among them.


Standing and clapping,
Maria

P.S. Here's a video excerpt of the ballet, and words from the choreographer if you want to practice your French.

No comments:

Post a Comment