24.11.10

Faux Amis

From my recent posts, you make think that I no longer live in France.  Just to prove I still do, here are some French tricks:


assister à - to attend
actuellement - currently; les actualities are the news
un collège - middle school; I have to stop myself from using that incorrectly a lot
ignorer - to not know; to be ignorant of something
un préservatif - a condom (that was a surprise!)
une librarie - a book store 
la déception - disappointment (close but different)
normalement - can mean "normally," but can also mean "theoretically"
         *E.G. My host mom wasn't sure she was going to be able to travel one weekend 
          because of threats of a strike, so she said, "Normalement, je prends l'avion de 
          11h15."

Nice try, faux amis, but I've outsmarted you!  Better luck next time!

Your vraie amie,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment